Sunnyside Community Services (SCS) is a community-based nonprofit centered on the belief that every person deserves meaningful support to achieve their aspirations – especially struggling families and individuals. With programs designed to enrich lives and strengthen communities through services and engagement for individuals at all ages, SCS has been lighting up lives with programs as diverse as the people they serve since 1974.
Sunnyside Community Services serves 16,000 people of all ages, ethnicities, and income levels. Approximately 2,500 students participate in SCS youth programs, which range from prekindergarten elementary after-school and summer camp programs, Beacon Community Centers, a Cornerstone program in public housing, and jobs and college readiness programming, amongst others. Immigrants receive support services to be able to live as full members of the community, including free immigration legal services, English for Speakers of Other Languages, and benefits access. For at-risk older adults, SCS offers a full range of services, which includes social adult day care for individuals with Alzheimer’s, home care and home health aide training, and a vibrant senior center.
Location is convenient to public transportation (a 10-minute subway ride from Grand Central.)
When applicable for the job, “SCS currently has a hybrid work model with three days in office and two days remote.”
The Associate Executive Director (AED) for Youth and Family Services manages the portfolio of youth and immigrant programs, participates as a senior-level member of the executive team that manages the organization, and works toward an integrated program model that maintains and expands the continuum of services for the benefit of participants. The AED reports to the Executive Director and directly supervises the three program leads for youth and the Director of Adult Immigrant Services.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned professional with experience managing multi-tiered teams and working as part of an executive team. They will be looked to for leadership both at the program level and the organization overall. Further, the AED must be a strong manager with leadership vision, a sense of entrepreneurship and proven operations and budget management skills. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style, an ability to listen and be inclusive of ideas, and be able to work collaboratively with staff and leadership to address and solve problems or issues as they arise.
1. Managing the youth & family services and immigrant services divisions, with an overall $8 million budget.
2. Managing the overall operations, strategic direction, and oversight of these programs.
3. With the management team, organization-wide responsibilities for long-term planning, program development and evaluation, and organization systems.
4. Managing an integrated system of results:
a. Participant Services: monitor and support programs to make sure the most effective strategies are in place.
b. Contract Compliance: in partnership with Contract Manager – ensure that contracted mandates are fulfilled. Work with Youth and Family and Immigrant Service leadership to make sure effective strategies evolve to fulfill goals.
c. Programmatic Results: Plan for, track and report on programmatic results with program teams.
d. Continuum: Work at all levels of the organization to ensure our continuum of services is maximized.
5. Ensuring the quality of program performance and outcome measures for each program; ensuring the quality and timeliness of individual employee evaluations.
6. Working closely with development and fiscal directors, oversee department budgeting and spending as well as public and private grant dollars coming into the divisions.
7. As needed, designing new programs to further the mission of the organization and stay current with community needs.
8. Representing the organization/community service programs at appropriate levels: umbrella organizations; community board; board of directors; elected officials etc.
9. Be the lead program person with funders at the planning, and at any juncture where accountability or negotiations are needed.
10. Oversight and management of staff development opportunities.
11. Other management responsibilities as needed. Based on capacity the role may extend to other relevant community services.
● Master’s degree in a related field
● Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience working in social services, government, or related field. Experience with youth and immigrant programs is preferred but successful candidates may come from a variety of service backgrounds. Ideally, the candidate will have strong background within a multi-service environment.
● Adept at prioritizing multiple and varied responsibilities
● Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal, relationship-building and networking skills
● Ability to track and report on data is essential. Salesforce experience is a plus.
● Tech savvy with strong computer skills and experience in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
SCS offers an Excellent Benefits Package:
Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance
403B pension plan with employer contribution
20 days of paid vacation and 12 paid sick days per year
10 paid Holidays
Six personal/floating days
Life Insurance Long-term disability
Flexible spending account
Training and development
Employee Assistance Program Aflac
Salary: $120,000 to $130,000
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Please note that if hired, SCS requires all employees to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
If you would like to join our team, please forward a cover letter, resume and salary requirement with subject line: AED of Youth and Family Services to [email protected], Chaka Blackman,
Interim Director Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. For more information about Sunnyside Community Services, please visit their website at http://www.scsny.org