The NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) protects and enhances the daily economic lives of New Yorkers to create thriving communities. DCWP licenses more than 51,000 businesses in more than 40 industries and enforces key consumer protection, licensing, and workplace laws that apply to countless more. By supporting businesses through equitable enforcement and access to resources and, by helping to resolve complaints, DCWP protects the marketplace from predatory practices and strives to create a culture of compliance. Through its community outreach and the work of its offices of Financial Empowerment and Labor Policy & Standards, DCWP empowers consumers and working families by providing the tools and resources they need to be educated consumers and to achieve financial health and work-life balance. DCWP also conducts research and advocates for public policy that furthers its work to support New York City’s communities. For more information about DCWP and its work, call 311 or visit DCWP at nyc.gov/dcwp or on its social media sites, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
DCWP is seeking an English/Spanish bilingual Press Secretary who, as part of DCWP’s Communications & Marketing Division, will serve as the head of the press office. The Press Secretary will develop and implement the press calendar and strategy in collaboration with the Associate Commissioner for Communications & Marketing; serve as a senior agency spokesperson, manage all Spanish language press, and supervise the Press Secretary and daily press operations. Daily press operations include but are not limited to: responding to daily media requests, composing press releases, press advisories, statements, remarks, Q&As, fact sheets, talking points, including Spanish translations as needed, fostering media relationships; promoting agency initiatives through pitching, supporting and attending media events and interviews; preparing staff for press interviews and events.
Specific duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and implement the press strategy in collaboration with the Associate Commissioner for Communications & Marketing;
• Serve as a senior agency spokesperson and manage daily press operations;
• Supervise the agency press staff;
• Manage all Spanish language press, including generating coverage, proactive pitching to targeted outlets, and coordinating and attending press conferences and interviews, and responding to incoming news media requests on deadline, including drafting statements, researching background information, and coordinating messaging with relevant staff.
• Draft, edit, review and finalize press materials (press advisories and releases, op-eds, statements, letters to the editor, and other external communications), ensuring that they are clear, accurate, engaging, timely and newsworthy.
• Prepare spokespeople and staff for interviews with media outlets to ensure accuracy of information and delivery of key messages, including translating materials to Spanish as needed.
• Research and cultivate relationships with reporters and editors.
• Work closely with the press staff of elected officials, community-based organizations, advocacy groups, and business groups, to plan and execute events of different types, including roundtables, press conferences, and panel discussions.
• Other duties as needed.